People need food – where do they came from – seems the whole of Africa is in South Africa to collect food parcels from the ANC promises. The streets of Olievenhoutbosch in Centurion were packed as people queued for food parcels on Saturday, with many failing to adhere to social distance regulations. But whose fault is this, if leaders promise food and they do not deliver. Thousands of people queued outside Walter Sisulu Primary School anxiously waiting to receive food parcels which were donated by NGO Mahlasedi. Some had been waiting at the school since Friday afternoon. This is the communist state of South Africa today after lockdown. This area is one of thousands demanding food.
News24 reported that soldiers and the police were seen enforcing lockdown regulations, reminding people to maintain their distance. Those who owned vans, trolleys and wheelbarrows made a fortune transporting food for people. The food parcels include 10kg of flour, maize meal, rice and boxes containing tinned goods.
Pretorious said they had distributed food to more than 3,000 families since Wednesday and that they had about 30,000 families on their database before the food drive began. He said the project was made possible by the Douw Steyn family trust and other private businesses.
“We are giving priority to the elderly and pregnant women. They have their own queue and the other queues are divided by sections which people come from,” Pretorius said.
Before entering the premises, recipients must show a bar coded tag and form of identification and their temperature is also checked,
Gauteng acting MEC for social development Panyaza Lesufi rushed to the area after news that a stampede had broken out. He commended the church and the foundation for the great work that they did.
(Douw Steyn was ook ten gunste van oorgang soos De Klerk en het ook aan Mandela ‘n gasteplaas geskenk, lank voor sy dood en ook vir al sy erfgename).
The Mahlasedi Foundation and Department of Social Development initiated a food-relief program in Olievenhoutbosch, Centurion to assist more than 30 000 residents suffering under the COVID-19 lockdown restrictions.
The week-long initiative saw thousands of local residents collect food, some with wheelbarrows, and culminated on Saturday 2 May when videos of the gathering went viral on social media for all the wrong reasons.
According to the Gauteng official, 8 000 food parcels have already been distributed, with another 20 000 to follow. He said “they have capacity [to distribute], the only thing is to adhere to regulations”.
“Those regulations are non-negotiable and not flexible. They are rigid for a purpose: to safeguard the future of our country, but also to safeguard the future of everyone here. We’ll work together to ensure that this matter is attended to as quickly as possible.”
THE RACE CARD AGAIN
THE PRIVILEGE OF HAVING A STOCKED FRIDGE
Many netizens took to Twitter with comments such as “no social distancing here,” and “this is how the virus spreads”, however, the problem goes much deeper than a view blinded by privilege and comfort.
The video of the crowd gathered at Olievenhoutbosch in Centurion was originally shared by Rorisang Kgosana, who succinctly summed up the current situation in South Africa:
“I like spot the difference games. 1. Cape Town. White People. Fridge and home filled with food. Went out to walk and jog. 2. Black People. Fridge and home with now food. Went out to get basic food”.
BLACKS AND OTHER CULTURES WERE ALSO WALKING AND JOGGING – NO PROBLEM – STOP USING THE RACIST AND DISCRIMINATION AGAINST WHITES IN SOUTH AFRICA
BETTER PLANNING NEEDED
Most of the Olievenhoutbosch residents have been queueing since the early hours of Saturday morning. Several netizens tagged Gift of the Givers to assist in any way possible,
Another netizen, known only as Ruraltarain, said the “problem with food distribution is poor planning”, and added that another solution is needed to get food parcels to households. The user suggested:
“Now you’ll find the whole [household] of 8 people are all lined up. Government should give food vouchers instead.”
When there are elections, the ANC are driving to their supporters to get their votes. How can you feed the whole of Africa now?
He is respecting the lockdown. And is urging his family to do the same. “It’s the law. There’s nothing we can do about it. I’m not afraid of this coronavirus. If it comes, it comes. But I’m staying safe inside my house. I’m not leaving, but that doesn’t mean I’m not worried about my children,” he said.
Local community worker Sarah Matekon said she’s been inundated with calls from people about the distribution of food parcels. She said many people in the community rely on social grants, which means they don’t qualify for a food parcel. “We were told that only people who are the most underprivileged will get food parcels. If there are people in the house who get more than R1000 a month, then they were told they don’t qualify. So if you have a mother or a father in the house who receives a Sassa grant, then that whole household doesn’t get,” Matekon said. Small towns and rural economies have been hard hit by the lockdown.
Although agriculture is deemed an essential part of the economy, many farms have put workers on short time or have closed altogether. This means those who had earned a weekly salary now go home with nearly nothing. In rural and farming towns, this often means buying essential items on credit from farm stores. This debt then gets deducted from farm workers’ wages when they are next paid. “There’s no one who works here at the moment. The harvest time is now over. So, no one is working. And it’s the time of the month [when] many people have run out of their grant money. So they’re forced to go into town and go buy food on credit. But if there’s no work, how will they pay it back?” Matekon asked.