Wassenaar – The Hague

Buitenplaatsen
De dorpskern van Wassenaar bleef eeuwenlang klein, maar de strandwallen tussen Den Haag en het oude dorp werden ‘ontdekt’ door rijke Hagenaars, die in de omgeving mooie locaties zochten om een buitenplaats te laten bouwen. Zo ontstonden  Clingendael  en   Duinrell   al in de zeventiende eeuw. Rond 1795 telde Wassenaar niet minder dan 26 buitenplaatsen.
Wassenaar is located on the coast with the immediate neighborhood towns of The Hague and Voorschoten. The N44 national highway that becomes the A44 is located right next to Wassenaar, which creates an ideal connection with The Hague, Leiden and Amsterdam.  The municipality now has more than 25,000 inhabitants.   Wassenaar today houses our crown prince Willem-Alexander and his wife princess Maxima with their 3 daughters, who live on the Eikenhorst estate.

*

From the beginning of the twentieth century, Wassenaar attracted thousands of new residents. Due to the death of a few large landowners, large plots of land became available, which were then parceled out by operating companies. Over time, the buildings have developed further, along Schoolstraat and Achterweg in the longitudinal direction of the beach wall. A historically valuable transition has been preserved between the village buildings around the church and the Berkhei. The Berkhei is a remnant of the most western beach plain and has kept its characteristic openness apart from incidental planting and the Sophiekehuis. This main structure, with the characteristic small-scale old buildings and differences in height, is still clearly recognizable and for that reason included in the current protected village scene.
http://www.klooster-wassenaar.nl/html/wonen.php

***

Wassenaar is een uitgestrekt dorp, gelegen aan de duinrand. In het westen grenst het aan de zee, in het zuiden aan Den Haag.   Al rond 1800 v.Chr. werd het gebied van het huidige Wassenaar bewoond. De eerste inwoners vonden op de strandwallen een veilig en droog heenkomen temidden van het drassig duinlandschap, waar de zee toen nog vrij spel had. Rond 1150 werd hier een kerk werd gebouwd, gewijd aan Willibrord, de Angelsaksische missionaris die in de zevende eeuw in dit gebied het christendom verbreidde. In de nabijheid van de kerk lag de burcht, een grote versterking op een kunstmatige heuvel, die pas in de twintigste eeuw werd afgegraven.

Wassenaar is a vast village on the edge of the dunes. In the west it borders on the sea, in the south on The Hague. Already around 1800 BC. the area of ​​current Wassenaar was inhabited. The first inhabitants found a safe and dry shelter on the beach ramparts in the middle of the marshy dune landscape, where the sea still had free rein. Around 1150 a church was built here, dedicated to Willibrord, the Anglo-Saxon missionary who spread Christianity in this area in the seventh century. In the vicinity of the church was the castle, a major fortification on an artificial hill, which was not excavated until the twentieth century.    This hill was called Wassenaar (according to some ‘steep hill’, according to others ‘near swampy land’). Messrs. Van Wassenaer, who owned a lot of land in addition to the castle here, and the old church village would have derived their name from this hill.

*

Villadorp

De opening van het Hofpleinlijntje in 1908 maakte Wassenaar ook voor Rotterdammers die buiten wilden wonen makkelijk bereikbaar en dankzij de aanleg van de tramlijn Den Haag-Wassenaar-Leiden in 1923/25 konden vele gegoede stadsbewoners dichtbij zee gaan wonen. Vanaf het begin van de twintigste eeuw trok Wassenaar duizenden nieuwe bewoners. Door het overlijden van enkele grootgrondbezitters kwamen grote stukken grond beschikbaar, die door exploitatiemaatschappijen werden verkaveld. Er ontstonden aantrekkelijke villaparken. Inmiddels zijn de trein en de tram allang verdwenen, maar Wassenaar heeft nog altijd een reputatie als villadorp. De gemeente telt inmiddels meer dan 25.000 inwoners.

The opening of the Hofplein line in 1908 made Wassenaar also easily accessible for Rotterdam residents who wanted to live outside and thanks to the construction of the tram line The Hague-Wassenaar-Leiden in 1923/25 many well-to-do city dwellers could live close to the sea. From the beginning of the twentieth century, Wassenaar attracted thousands of new residents. Due to the death of a few large landowners, large plots of land became available, which were then parceled out by operating companies. Attractive villa parks were created. The train and tram have since disappeared, but Wassenaar still has a reputation as a villa village. The municipality now has more than 25,000 inhabitants.
https://geschiedenisvanzuidholland.nl/locatie/geschiedenis-van-wassenaar

***  ***

READ ALSO – LEES GERUS:

Clingendael – Nederland

Clingendael – The Hague

Clingendael – The Netherlands

Huys Clingendael – The Hague – Den Haag

Bunkers – The Netherlands (German)

Advertisements

Lewer kommentaar

Verskaf jou besonderhede hieronder of klik op 'n logo om in te teken:

WordPress.com Logo

Jy lewer kommentaar met jou rekening by WordPress.com. Log Out /  Verander )

Google photo

Jy lewer kommentaar met jou rekening by Google. Log Out /  Verander )

Twitter picture

Jy lewer kommentaar met jou rekening by Twitter. Log Out /  Verander )

Facebook photo

Jy lewer kommentaar met jou rekening by Facebook. Log Out /  Verander )

Connecting to %s